Find out what it means to be King of the off-road in this awesome tank driving experience.
You’ll get kitted out in boots ‘n all before blasting your way up hill and down dale from behind the controls of a monstrous military tank. On the battlefield, size does matter and with the tools to tackle any terrain, these herculean heavies can certainly throw their weight around. This one-of-a-kind driving experience is all torque and traction, and you’ll get to put these car-crushing brutes through their treads in a roaring day out that’s non-stop fun.
The tank driving experiences are designed to give you the chance to get behind the controls of a huge military armoured vehicle and have a go at driving it yourself. Certainly not your average driving lesson!
- Tank Driving Experience: In this thrilling experience, participants will usually have the chance to drive a number of vehicles including a Chieftain tank, Abbot SPG, an Armoured Personnel Carrier and a quad bike.
- Tank Driving Thrill: Learn how to drive a tank around a challenging course with the hatch open, before trying it with the hatch closed and driving with only the periscopes for vision. Easier said than done!
- Other experiences available include Military Vehicle Driving and Full Monty Tank Driving, which usually include the chance to drive a number of vehicles and take part in other military-style activities.
You'll receive full instruction throughout and will get to drive the vehicle around a special course to try out their new-found skills. The experience will go ahead in most weather conditions so expect to get wet and muddy.
Fancy something less war-themed? If it's mud you're after, try 4x4 offroading. If it's a challenge you seek, try driving a truck. If it's the sheer novelty factor you are after, digger racing or dumper truck racing are your friends.
It’s not every day that you get to commandeer a tank. But thanks to this unique and fully-charged tank driving experience, you’ll get to play with the big boys’ toys and learn how to master these massive military machines yourself. Guided by experts, you’ll discover how these incredible armoured vehicles work before getting down to the nitty gritty. Get on board, take control and do what only the elite few can do: drive a tank! It’s certainly not your average driving lesson and nothing else even comes close. This is a roaring, rumbling adventure that’s perfect for big kids everywhere.
Sir, Yes, Sir! - What You Need To Know
- WHEN: Experiences take place on selected dates throughout the year.
- WHERE: Military vehicle experiences take place in all weather, so dress appropriately. Expect to get mucky.
- WHO: While this may seem like a male dominated experience (and often it is), it's also great for women to show who's boss. Activities are suited to anyone with a keen interest in tanks and other military vehicles across a broad range of ages.
- OCCASIONS: These experiences are great as novel birthday or Christmas presents, but have stag and hen party written all over them.
- PRICES: Passenger rides start from around £30 and are ideal for those who want to experience life in a tank without driving one. Driving a tank starts from around £60 a head. The top-notch experiences include a whole host of vehicles to drive and can creep into the £300 per person territory. (correct at the time of writing)
- QUESTIONS: Need help? Ask questions here and I'll try to help as best I can
- TRIED THIS?: Would you recommend it? Share your thoughts here
Top military vehicle experiences
Choose from a range of experiences that puts you behind the wheel of tanks and other military vehicles. Here's some to chew over.
Dads and Lads Tank Experience
This experience near Market Harborough is for parents and their child, and despite the name, it's not just for boys. Ride in a 17 tonne armoured personnel carrier and fire the onboard 40mm paintball cannon. Mum or Dad can then drive laps of the tank circuit.
Tank Paintball Battles
Firing armed tanks at each other isn't much fun but tank paintballing is a whole different ball game. This experience in Lutterworth, Leicestershire, sees two teams attack each other in modified 432 APCs (armoured personnel carriers). Take it in turns to drive the tank, aim the cannon, load the breach and command the team, trying to outwit the other team.
The Full Monty Tank Driving Day
Head to Helmdon, Northamptonshire, and get kitted up in a camouflage suit and helmet before taking the controls vehicles such as a 432 Armoured Personnel Carrier, Lance Missile Carrier, Humvee, and Russian Gvodzika tank. You'll also try your hand at clay pigeon shooting, SAS woodland patrol, and firing 17th century flintlocks and mortars. They'll even throw in a hot lunch and refreshments.
(Photo credit to 12019)