Don’t worry, this isn’t a big hairy monkey type creature wanting to give you a piggy back (almost a shame, really), this is something even better, if that is possible… Apes (it’s pronounced 'apay') are three-wheeled vehicles that have been popular with the trend setters in Italy since 1949. It’s taken a while for them to cross over from stylish continental Europe, but they’re here now, and you can have a go at racing one!
These Piaggio Apes look a lot of fun. Like miniature trucks with safety bars, there is no way you can’t enjoy a drive in one of these tiny little vehicles. And to make things even better, this Piaggio Ape racing experience has souped these beauties up, giving them extra racing specs and stabilisers so that you can take them round those corners at a fair old speed!
You will arrive at the racing track in Hertfordshire and start the experience with an introduction to the vehicles themselves, and instructions on how to drive them. Take a good look, as it’s likely you won’t have seen one of these up close before, if at all. They’re impressive little beasts! You will also be provided with sporty race suits, just like the real racers have, and a racing helmet.
Once your expert instructor is satisfied that everyone in the group has grasped the basics, it’s time to be split into teams of three. You’ll have practise time to decide your qualifying positions, so the quicker you are the further forward you will start. Who’s up for poll position? Go for it, you’ve got to push these little vehicles as hard as they will go!
For added European excitement, the race proper begins with no drivers in their vehicles. As the flag waves, the first driver has to run across the track, enter their vehicle, and get going as quickly as possible! Heart hammering and foot to the floor, you’ll speed around the one kilometre track.
Something to consider:Red Letter Days sells single, two-person, or four-person tickets for Piaggio Ape Racing. Go it alone, take a friend, or take the family on a quirky race day.
The Italian Speed Machine - What You Need To Know
- WHEN: This experience runs at least once every two months.
- WHERE: Head near Hoddesdon, Hertfordshire for your chance to take on a very different Italian stallion.
- WHO: Ape racing is the perfect experience for those who had tried pretty much everything else when it comes to driving fast! It's fun, novel, and very different to anything else out there. You may have seen Piaggio Ape coffee or pizza vans in the wild in the UK but these plucky vehicles have race-spec modifications. No lazy Sunday coffee here.
- OCCASIONS: Whether for a birthday, Christmas, an anniversary, or a stag or hen do, this is a fun, exciting, and pulse racing day of speed!
- PRICES: Prices start from £75 per person. (correct at the time of writing)
- QUESTIONS: Need help? Ask questions here and I'll try to help as best I can
- TRIED THIS?: Would you recommend it? Share your thoughts here
(Photo credit to Red Letter Days)
Shopping Ideas °
|Piaggio Ape RacingTry the crazy thrill of Piaggio Ape racing in Hertfordshire, exclusive to Red Letter Days and seen i...||£75from Red Letter DaysLearn more|
|Piaggio Ape Racing For TwoWant to try something a bit different?||£150from Red Letter DaysLearn more|
|Piaggio Ape And Karting Racing For TwoEnjoy double the fun with this Piaggio Ape and kart racing experience in Hertfordshire.||£250from Red Letter DaysLearn more|
Prices are supplied by retailers, are regularly updated, and are displayed purely as a guide. Check current prices at each retailer, along with any applicable terms and conditions. Delivery costs, surcharges, and optional extras may also apply.
Check out the latest voucher codes for Experience Mad, and Pong Cheese.