Grab your handbags and glad-rags, bring a picnic and enjoy an evening of top-notch classical music in this superb Summer concert experience. They say there’s nothing wrong with a little sax and violins from time to time, and I wholeheartedly agree. And what better way to enjoy this classical spectacular than with the added thrills of infantry displays, a vintage field gun and a fireworks climax? Opt for an open-air concert to enjoy the best of classical music in the great outdoors, or go one step further with a Battle Proms or Champagne Concert with Fireworks. Cheers!
Opt for a Summer Concert Experience and bring a picnic with deckchairs to enjoy an evening of great music, or go for the Champagne Summer Concert with Fireworks for Two for a more romantic night out, complete with some fizz and a spectacular fireworks show.
A top choice:Enjoy a deluxe picnic at the Proms with a friend or your partner. You'll get to watch an Outdoor Proms concert while nibbling on treats from a fresh gourmet picnic, accompanied by a bottle of Sauvignon Blanc.
Another variation on this experience is the superb Battle Proms Classical Summer Concert. This includes classical music as well as such delights as a Napoleonic Cavalry, Infantry displays and a choreographed Spitfire display (weather permitting) – all kicked off by the booming sounds of a vintage field gun. Some of the music will be accompanied by live cannon fire too! Typical performances include Tchaikovsky’s 1812 Overture and Beethoven’s Battle Symphony. And just when you thought it couldn’t get any better, the night will finish off with a fireworks display.
A great idea:Pick up a chilled bottle of Prosecco on arrival and watch Cavalry and Infantry displays, a spitfire flight, and a lively and entertaining concert.
This is a wonderful experience that will go ahead in any weather, so dress accordingly and remember that the temperatures will drop as the sun goes down, so bring plenty of extra layers and waterproofs if necessary. The gates will typically open late afternoon and most venues will include fairground activities and a warm-up band, with the musical programme starting early evening. Most concerts finish around 10.30pm.
There may be up to 8,000 other people there so expect a fun and lively atmosphere. Food will be available to buy on-site, usually in the form of a barbecue, hog roast, or hot food stalls, and there is usually a bar too. Some experiences come with a picnic hamper and wine, otherwise you can bring your own. Leave the barbecue at home, though.
Get ‘Bach’ to basics in this classical spectacular and enjoy a thoroughly entertaining evening at an open-air concert. Get your classical ear tuned in and appreciate note-perfect concertos, magnificent minuets and spine-tingling symphonies. Whether you’re a music buff or not, this is a magical experience that everyone will enjoy. Soak up the proms in all its patriotic glory, complete with rousing renditions of such classics as Rule Britannia, Jerusalem and plenty of flag-waving. Just don’t forget the Pimms and cucumber sandwiches!
A Rousing Performance - What You Need To Know
- WHEN: These concerts run at various times and venues throughout the Summer, usually on selected Saturdays in July and August.
- WHERE: Concerts usually take place at venues in Lincolnshire, Hertfordshire, Oxfordshire, Hampshire, and Warwickshire. Dates are usually restricted to one or two per venue per year.
- WHO: Anyone who appreciates classical music will love the opportunity to attend an uplifting outdoor performance.
- OCCASIONS: You could give this experience as a birthday or Christmas gift. It would also make a great Mother's Day or Father's Day gift, as well as a wedding anniversary present.
- PRICES: Prices start from around £70 per person. (correct at the time of writing)
- QUESTIONS: Need help? Ask questions here and I'll try to help as best I can
- TRIED THIS?: Would you recommend it? Share your thoughts here
(Photo credit to Ernestoeslava)