If a picture paints a thousand words, a photograph can speak volumes. But if yours are full of fingertips or headless figures that aren’t even fit for Facebook, then it’s time to try a digital photography course. Perfect for beginners and shaky novices, this informative course will teach you all the tools, tips and tricks of the trade from pro photographers. You’ll get to grips with this magnificent form of modern art and learn all about the terms and tech of DSLR. With expert tuition, a bit of patience and plenty of practice, you’ll learn how to see the world, rather than just look at it. And you’ll have the perfect prints to prove it.
A digital photography course/tour all-in-one is the perfect opportunity to learn more about the various functions and settings on your camera, and to use the conditions and environment around you to create professional-looking photographs. It’s a hands-on course that’s ideal for beginners as well as those who have some basic knowledge of DSLR technology, but who would like some further help. The course typically covers the main features of digital photography including aperture, shutter speeds, exposure, balance and composition.
You’ll meet your group and your instructor before starting the tour, which will usually kick off with a theory session and a chance to explore your camera with help from your expert guide. You'll then take photos with your own camera, picking up hints and tips from your professional photography expert along the way.
A variety of photography experiences are available, so if you prefer taking photos of cityscapes, landscapes, still life, wildlife, or people, you'll find something to suit.
All the gear but no idea? If you’re fairly new to DSLR photography, and you thought that flash and exposure was something to do with trench coats, then this digital photography course is for you. Aimed at digital novices, this informative course will help you get to grips with the world of photography, tap into your creative side and learn how to take stunning snaps. You’ll figure out the difference between focus and F-stop, appreciate aperture and understand that where pixels are concerned, size does matter. So if you fancy yourself the next Ansel Adams or Annie Liebovitz, this is where it all begins. Say cheese!
Happy Snapping - What You Need To Know
- WHEN: Tours take place year-round. As much of the course is designed to take place outdoors and your camera equipment may have cost a pretty penny or two, tours may be postponed in severe weather conditions (such as snow, ice, or heavy rain).
- WHERE: The experience is available at a range of locations right across the UK, each venue offering its own unique selection of scenes, items and objects to help you hone your snapping skills.
- WHO: Got a shiny new DSLR camera but have no idea what all the buttons do? Do you want to graduate from auto mode and push the camera to its limits? Bring your camera with you on a photography tour and learn top tips and tricks from a seasoned pro.
- OCCASIONS: A lesson-tour is a great addition if you're planning to get someone a new camera as a birthday or Christmas present. Don't just give the new kit, but give a practical lesson on how to make the most of it at the same time.
- PRICES: Introductory tours cost upwards of £20 per person, while in-depth studio courses and multiple-day courses can stretch beyond the £200 mark. (correct at the time of writing)
- QUESTIONS: Need help? Ask questions here and I'll try to help as best I can
- TRIED THIS?: Would you recommend it? Share your thoughts here
Top photography lessons
There are so many styles of photography to choose between, so you'll find something you feel comfortable and happy photographing. Here's a few examples to give you some food for thought.
Soho Street Photography Walking Tour
Start and end a walking tour at Soho Square in Westminster, London. Tour the less tourist-populated routes to find hidden gems in the area for some really interesting photographs.
This half-day lesson at Knowlsey Park wildlife in Merseyside is an ideal introduction to macro photography. You'll learn new techniques and practice your newfound skills photographing small tropical species. Your ticket also includes admission into the Safari Park.
Two Day Introduction To Photography
If a few hours isn't long enough, how about a cash course over two days? Day one covers aperture, shutter speeds, exposure control, ISO and white balance, and the fundamental rules of creative composition. Day two is a hands-on photoshoot. You'll also cover focusing points, raw versus jpeg file formats, and filters. Courses take place near Nottingham and Richmond. If you are travelling from afar, you'll need to factor in additional accommodation and meal costs for the two days.
(Photo credit to Meditations)
Shopping Ideas °
|History Of London Photography TourWhat’s not to love about London?||£25from Virgin Experience DaysLearn more|
|London Photography Tour At Night For TwoGreat for both beginners and those with some previous DSLR experience, this night time photography t...||£55from Red Letter DaysLearn more|
|Full Day Introduction To Photography In BirminghamDesigned for those wanting to get the most from their DSLR camera, this hands-on digital photography...||£120from Red Letter DaysLearn more|
|Portrait And Studio Photography CourseEnjoy learning the ins and outs of portrait photography and re-vamp your portfolio with this incredi...||£225from Experience DaysLearn more|
Prices are supplied by retailers, are regularly updated, and are displayed purely as a guide. Check current prices at each retailer, along with any applicable terms and conditions. Delivery costs, surcharges, and optional extras may also apply.
Check out the latest voucher codes for Into The Blue.