Forget football. Fishing fever is here! Are you keen to step in the famous footsteps of John Wilson? Extreme fishing exploits of Robson Green caught your fancy? Whatever floats your boat, this is the perfect introduction to landing a great catch.
From motorboat fly fishing to full-on deep sea fishing trips, discover what makes this sport so addictive and learn all the tools, tips and tricks from the pros of the fishing field. The lucky ones will even get to keep and cook their catch too. Whatever your level of skill or squeamishness, this is a great introduction that’s bound to leave you well and truly hooked.
Learn to fish
Fishing lessons come in many different forms, depending on what you wish to learn. There are lake, river and reservoir-based experiences, which are conducted either from the shore or in a motorboat. You can also enjoy the opportunity to learn fly fishing, or go one step further and take an exciting deep sea fishing trip. Some experiences include prestigious locations, such as the chance to fish for trout on the exclusive River Test.
If you’re lucky enough to make a catch, many fishing experiences allow you to take some of your catch home – usually up to a maximum of two fish – but this will depend on the venue and type of fish caught.
On the day you’ll meet by your instructor, who will be an excellent fisherman with plenty of expertise on how to land the perfect catch. You’ll learn how to set up your tackle, understand how to select the best bait, and try out your cast. You’ll also be taught how to ‘read’ the water and appreciate the best time of day to fish for certain species. Once you get a bite you’ll also learn how to land the fish.
Where sea fishing trips are concerned, you’ll spend time with your instructor on the boat, who will offer guidance and help you to perfect your fishing skills.
Fancy you’re pretty fly at fishing? You will be, with the help of this fun-filled fishing experience. Take the bait and spend some time with expert fishing instructors, who will teach you everything you need to know about fishing in its many forms. From river, lake and reservoir fishing to sailing the open seas in search of a great catch, you’ll have a whale of a time and become a dab hand in the process. And for the ultimate seal of approval, some venues let you take your catch home too. After this fantastic day out, even the most sceptical will no doubt be caught hook line and sinker.
Reel It In! - What You Need To Know
- WHEN: Lessons typically take place on selected dates and are normally group events. Events are subject to weather conditions so may be postponed if conditions are unfavourable.
- WHERE: Experiences take place at lakes, rivers, or reservoirs around the country. You'll head out to sea from a regional port on deep sea fishing trips.
- WHO: Fishing is one of the pastimes that is both relaxing and exhilarating when you get a nibble. Fishing lessons are ideal for anyone who fancies the idea of fishing but has no clue where to begin.
- OCCASIONS: Fishing lessons are a great birthday or Christmas present idea.
- PRICES: Fishing lessons start from around £50 per person for an introductory session. A full day event usually costs upwards of £200 per person. (correct at the time of writing)
- QUESTIONS: Need help? Ask questions here and I'll try to help as best I can
- TRIED THIS?: Would you recommend it? Share your thoughts here
Top fishing lessons
Not sure where to begin? Here's a few options for you to consider.
Full Day Sea Fishing in Penarth, South Wales
Join your boat at Penarth near Cardiff and head out into the Bristol Channel for a day of fishing. Fish vary by season but you stand a chance of landing a bass, ray, or cod. Equipment is included, as is tea and coffee on the boat. Best of all, you can take your catch home with you so that's dinner sorted.
Shark Fishing in Cornwall
Are fish small fry? Try catching a shark instead. Your boat sails from Looe, Cornwall. Using a good quality rod and multiplier, you'll try to catch yourself a shark with guidance from an expert skipper.
Salmon Fishing Trip Package in Scotland
Scottish salmon is famed world over, and now is your chance to catch the freshest around. This experience includes everything you need to fish for salmon in the River Tay near Edinburgh.
(Photo credit to JamesHills)