Love the outdoors but find it a tad boring? Coasteering, canyoning, and gorge walking aims to change that. In these experiences you'll jump off cliffs, swim in choppy waters, navigate waterfalls, and slide down natural flumes. It's all about having fun in the great outdoors. And boy is it fun.
Jumping off a cliff. Swimming in cold and choppy waters. Climbing a sheer rock face with few handholds and only sky above. If this sounds like a dream rather than a nightmare then coasteering could be for you. A combination of activities means that one day out becomes a three-in-one thrill ride, allowing adults to let themselves be kids again, only this time they are allowed to do all the things their parents said they couldn’t the first time round. It was dangerous then. But now, with proper training and equipment, it just feels dangerous… Which makes quite the difference!
For the ultimate in active days out, you don’t need to look much further than coasteering. This new craze that is sweeping the country is a combination of jumping, climbing, swimming, and having an incredible adventure, all in one amazing package.
Explore beautiful parts of the UK coastline, and have an adventure along the way. Whether you’re clambering down cliff faces, or climbing up them again, or whether you’re battling tides and currents in the refreshing sea, you’ll have the opportunity to look about you and really become one with the outside. Caves, caverns, secret cliff top hideaways, they are all available to you to investigate. Who knows what you’ll find? There’s always a chance you’ll come across some hidden pirate treasure, or an unknown species of sea creature. Why not? Anything’s possible!
Coasteering has no set itinerary, as it is dependent on weather and location. However, there will be rock climbing (hold on tight!) included, so you will have a chance to show your skills off once you get to the top and look down. You’ll be surprised at how far you’ve come. You will also get to jump - off a cliff. Yes, you may just have climbed all the way up, but now you’re going down… Geronimo! You’ll land in the sea, which could be a little rough (probably), or as smooth as a mirror (unlikely, but you never know!). It doesn’t matter what the sea is like, you’re going in, and you’re going to enjoy it! No, really. What’s not to like about churning water, and overhead waves? Nothing – it’s all amazing, heart-pumping, pulse-throbbing stuff, and you’ll be talking about it for many years to come.
A top choice:Little beats the picturesque beauty of the Pembrokeshire coastline so it's an ideal background as you spend the day swimming, climbing rocks, and jumping off cliffs. This is an aquatic adventure like no other.
Canyoning and gorge walking
Talk about wet and wild. Canyoning is the latest craze among thrill seekers – and crazy it certainly is! From atop a steep gorge you’ll bump and grind your way back down, tackling waterfalls, sliding down natural flumes and leaping into rock pools. It’s hair-raising, adrenalin-pumping, and perfect for action-addicts with a heady sense of rough ‘n ready adventure. Thrills and spills are the name of the game so if you fancy making a splash, getting soaked to the skin and having a load of laughs in the process, then dive right in and release your wild side in this raucous rip roaring adventure.
This is a fully charged adventure that will challenge you every step of the way. It’s fun, daring, rewarding and truly unforgettable!
Using a combination of ropes, harnesses, jumps and plenty of bottle, you’ll follow a natural water course down to the bottom of the gorge and take on various activities which may include as rock slides, white water swims, scrambles, and a slide drop into a rock pool.
Know someone with a screw loose? Fancy doing something ludicrous? Then step this way. Canyoning is just about as daring and demanding as you can get – so if you like your action a little rough round the edges, this exhilarating experience will certainly be right up your chute. Find out what you’re made of as you tackle natural rock slides, slither down steep gorges, swim through white water and abseil down waterfalls. It’s an all-action quest that’s guaranteed to get your heart pounding, your adrenalin pumping and your thirst for adventure well and truly quenched. Shrinking violets need not apply.
Food for thought:Visit a really exciting gorge in Gwynedd, North Wales, for a day of big jumps, toboggan runs, abseils, and lots of fun. Navigate pools of water and steep waterfalls.
Splashdown! - What You Need To Know
- WHEN: Events take place year-round. Some run from around April to September for the best weather while others take place come rain or shine.
- WHERE: Experiences take place around the country, mostly in Wales, Devon, Cornwall, Northumberland, Cornwall, and Scotland.
- WHO: Coasteering and canyoning are dreams come true for action men and women. Those who love to have adrenalin running through their veins, the ones who live for the outdoors, the one who can’t sit still for a minute, the ones who wear you out simply by looking at them. Some kid-friendly experiences are available too, ideal for those that love getting wet and have plenty of energy to burn off.
- OCCASIONS: Christmas and birthdays can be made unforgettable with a gift experience like this. It can make a quirky anniversary gift for active couples too.
- PRICES: Expect to pay around £40 per person for an entry level experience. Full day experiences start from around £130 a head. Some two-in-one activities are available, combining activities like surfing with coasteering. (correct at the time of writing)
- QUESTIONS: Need help? Ask questions here and I'll try to help as best I can
- TRIED THIS?: Would you recommend it? Share your thoughts here
(Photo credit to Free-photos)