As an adult, snow isn’t much fun, is it? It’s too cold, for one thing. It makes driving difficult. It makes trains stop. A snow day from school was the highlight of the year; a snow day from work just means more work when the snow finally clears to catch up… and it puts the heating bills up too.
Let’s all grump about the snow.
Or… let’s not. Let’s enjoy the snow like we used to, and make the most of it by indulging in some snow sports experience days that will give you a taste of long forgotten snow abandon, and remind you just how exciting the white stuff can be!
Skiing is a great choice; classic and exciting all in one fantastic activity. Whether you’re a complete beginner, or you want to brush up on your skiing skills, there is a course and instructor for you.
Ski on an inside slope, with an instructor lending you plenty of hints and tips. You'll be booking a holiday to the luxury Swiss alpine resort town of St Moritz in no time at all.
Try this one:Learn to ski or snowboard in a day near Manchester under the guidance of a BASI qualified instructor. Learn the fundamentals and perfect your moves.
If you don’t feel like skiing, would snowboarding suit you better? There’s an experience for that too! Although it has been around since the 1960s, it seems only recently that snowboarding has become popular. It’s tricky to master, but it’s amazing to try, and since you can reach speeds of up to 80mph, it’s certainly got the adrenalin rush you’ve been looking for!
Expect thrills, and definitely spills, but by the end of your session you’ll have a great idea of what it really feels like to hurtle down a mountain with a snowboard strapped to your feet and nothing else!
A top choice:Learn to snowboard at an indoor ski slope near Tamworth. Learn how to balance on the board and most importantly, how to safely control it.
If the sight of snow is just a bit too much for you to contemplate, but you'd still like to try your hand at a Winter Olympics sport, then there's an option to suit you.
Head to a purpose-built, all-weather bobsleigh track and practise your skills in true Cool Runnings style without a flake of snow in sight.
On the face of it, bobsleighing is a simple sport where you race down a steep hill as fast as possible.But it's difficult to master. However, an instructor will help you perfect your technique and you'll be hurtling along the course in no time at all. You'll be planning a career change to bobsleigh athlete before the experience is over.
Something to consider:Have a go on a bobsleigh track built to train athletes for the Salt Lake City Olympics. The all-weather replica is just like the real thing (sans the snow). Get in some practice being tackling the timed runs.
That's Snow Business, Folks! - What You Need To Know
- WHEN: Events take place on selected days throughout the year.
- WHERE: Bobsleigh in Bath or brush up on your skiing or snowboarding skills in Tamworth or Manchester.
- WHO: These experiences are idea for anyone who loves snow-based adventuring, or anyone who just wants to bring back memories of a childhood full of rushing headlong onto piles of the stuff. Whether you want to pick up a new skill or brush up on your existing talents ahead of a luxury skiing holiday, you'll find an experience to suit.
- OCCASIONS: Skiing or snowboarding lessons are great birthday and Christmas gift ideas. A bobsleigh ride is perfect for adrenaline junkies.
- PRICES: Snowboarding and skiing introductory lessons start from around £35 a head with longer, more in-depth sessions reaching to around £160 each. Ride a bobsleigh for around £100 per person. (correct at the time of writing)
- QUESTIONS: Need help? Ask questions here and I'll try to help as best I can
- TRIED THIS?: Would you recommend it? Share your thoughts here
(Photo credit to Woodypino)