We all love TV – from iconic moments to scripts we can all recite perfectly, whether it’s comedy, drama, crime, or something scary, it’s a ritual that is enjoyed by all ages and all interests; that moment when it’s time to switch the TV on and relax.
It’s a great reward for having worked hard and got everything done. It’s a fantastic talking point. And the characters and storylines that we watch week in and week out become part of our lives, for better or worse. When something happens to one of them, we feel it. Still, it’s all rather distant, isn’t it? All a little bit abstract.
It’s not if you head on a Film and TV Locations tour though!
Movie and TV filming location tours
Love Harry Potter? Adore Downton Abbey? Giggle with Gavin and Stacey? These are just some of the incredible filming locations tours available. See the houses, the villages, the sets, and the locations that you know so well – but now see them from a different perspective. Whether it’s Downton itself, Platform 9¾, or Nessa’s Arcade, you’ll be completed immersed in a world of make believe that can now actually exist!
Everyone has a favourite, everyone has an idol, or that one programme they have to see, that one film they are content to watch over and over again. And there's a tour to match.
- Tour Harry Potter filming locations in London including Platform 9¾, 12 Grimmauld Place, and the Leaky Cauldron. Don't miss the Harry Potter Studio Tour either.
- While Emmerdale is now filmed on a closed set, you can tour the market towns of Otley, the village of Esholt, the farm near Leathley where the original Emmerdale Farm was shot, and visit the original Woolpack Pub. If it's the closed set at Harewood Estate you wish to see, opt for a helicopter tour that flies nearby.
- Tour London and see the sights from James Bond 007 movies such as Goldeneye, Skyfall, Die Another Day, and The World is Not Enough.
- See locations from Love Actually, Sliding Doors, and Bridget Jones in a London Rom Com tour.
- Head to London's Sw3 to see familiar sights from Made in Chelsea such as the chic shops on King's Road, the bars, the clubs, and the legendary party hangouts.
- Head on a tour of London's sights used in the sci-fi television series, Doctor Who.
- See sights in London that appeared in the BBC crime drama Sherlock.
- Don't have a favourite but still want to see the sights featured in a range of films or television series? Head on a general TV and Film Locations tour. It's a great option if you are planning to visit London.
- Alternatively, book a London helicopter flight to see iconic film backgrounds from above. While not a dedicated movie tour, your pilot will be able to point on the key landmarks that line the River Thames.
- It's surprising Midsomer has any residents with a reputation like it has. Tour some of the most picturesque areas of Buckinghamshire and Oxfordshire on a Midsomer Murders locations tour, and even visit the quaint village that was used in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and The Vicar of Dibley.
- Love TOWIE? See all the 'reem' parts of Essex on a The Only Way Is Essex locations tour.
- Join a tour from London to Oxfordshire, to see Downton Abbey filming locations including Yew Tree Farm and Downton Village itself. Keep a look out for the exteriors of Downton Hospital, the local pub, church, and Matthew Crawley’s former home.
- Spot familiar sights featured in Inspector Morse and spin-off series Lewis, such as The Randolph Hotel and the White Horse Pub, in a tour of Oxford.
- Visiting Liverpool? See the famous sights used in the award-winning Netflix gangster series, Peaky Blinders, including the Shelby family home, Watery Lane, Field Marshall Russell's house and the canal waterways museum used in the Camden Town scenes.
- Head to Barry Island in South Wales and see Stacey's house and Nessa's arcade in a Gavin And Stacey filming locations tour.
- Join a Doctor Who locations tour in Cardiff.
- Love Doc Martin? Head to the picturesque fishing village of Port Issac in Cornwall to see sights such as the Doc's house and surgery plus Mrs Tishell's pharmacy.
- Heading to Belfast, Northern Ireland? Don't miss the Game of Thrones locations tour which spans many locations. A highlight is a trip to the UNESCO listed Giant's Causeway.
These tours and experiences are ideal for any telly addict who loves to dig deeper into the shows that they love the most.
Don't expect to meet stars on these tours. Many of these tours are not official tours and are therefore not authorised nor endorsed by the programmes or movies, the cast, the production companies, nor the broadcasters.
Roll sound... Roll camera... Action! - What You Need To Know
- WHEN: Tours usually take place on selected dates and typically take place as groups. Most tours are either walking tours or bus tours, although you can get a bird's eye view with a helicopter tour if you so wish.
- WHERE: Locations are predominately in and around London and the Home Counties. There are a few tours in Wales, Cornwall, Liverpool, and Northern Ireland.
- WHO: Any television or movie buff worth their salt would jump at the chance of seeing sights from their favourite shows up, close, and personal. It's great to take a television series or movie to the next level and walk in the shoes of the actors, seeing the sights and hearing the sounds they did.
- OCCASIONS: A locations tour is best booked alongside a short break. They are ideal as a low-cost sightseeing trip. Locations tours are also great birthday and Christmas present ideas for die-hard fans.
- PRICES: Walking tours start from as little as £10 a head. Bus tours typically start from £25 a head due to the transport costs. (correct at the time of writing)
- QUESTIONS: Need help? Ask questions here and I'll try to help as best I can
- TRIED THIS?: Would you recommend it? Share your thoughts here
Top movie and TV location tours
James Bond 007 location tour in London
Perhaps you’re a James Bond fan? If so, join a 007 tour. You’ll be taken to places you’ll instantly recognise from those incredible, exciting films, including Goldeneye, Tomorrow Never Dies, The World Is Not Enough, and Skyfall. As if that isn’t mind blowing enough, this London based tour will also take you to places associated with Bond’s creator, Ian Fleming, as well as showing you where the spies of today carry out their world saving work.
Doctor Who location tour in Cardiff or London
Maybe it’s Doctor Who that really floats your boat. As any Whovian knows, today’s incarnation is filmed in Cardiff, so it’s off to Wales for this tour. Since 2005, Doctor Who has been thrilling us all once again, so you’ll be delighted to find that there are 20 locations to visit on this unique tour, including the exact place where The Rift opened up, Rose Tyler’s shop, and Torchwood HQ. Your guide is an expert, so you can ask as many questions as you want, and join in great fan discussions that will give you new and interesting insight into the show you love so much.
If you prefer walking, then there is a London based Doctor Who Walking Tour to enjoy as well! In this tour there are 15 incredible locations to visit, including sights seen in Remembrance of the Daleks and Frontier in Space. This 2 ½ hour tour really is the ultimate in Whovian thrills!
TOWIE and MIC location tours in Essex and London
Head to Brentwood in Essex and see the sights from The Only Way Is Essex. Visit the shops owned by some of the cast, see the top party sights, and stop for a drink at a TOWIE pub. Your professional guide is knowledgeable in all things TOWIE and your tour takes place on a comfortable mini coach.
More MIC than TOWIE? Head to London's SW3 and see the sights frequented by Jamie, Spencer, Proudlock, Lucy, Binky, and Cheska. Head to the King's Road shops, the bars, the clubs, and see the party hangouts on this walking tour.
(Photo credit to Stokpic)